A little over a 100 years ago, AWERA was founded by Mr. A. WERkhoven, in Amsterdam. After its founding in 1914, the family business was a manufacturer of weight scales. Subsequently, products were fabricated in need for butchery and store layout purposes.
AWERA was located in the Jordaan in the middle of Amsterdam, nearby the Noorderkerk. At that time, the scope of work was fabricating single pieces or small product series. For these activities, manual lathes were used. In addition, there was also a lot of work done by hand.
Until the mid sixties of the previous century, AWERA focused mainly on manufacturing simple brass bolts and nuts. Eventually AWERA focussed on specialised lathe machined parts. In the mid seventies, the company moved to its current location in Nederhorst den Berg.
The building was expanded in 1988 to the current 750 m² of business space.
In the early nineties, it was decided to buy the first computer-controlled lathe. At that time, AWERA was one of the first companies in the industry that made this change. In the following years AWERA has constantly invested in expanding and applying new technology.
In 2011 the company changed ownership and continued under the responsibility of Peter Kostelijk, who at that time worked at the company for more over 30 years.
In the course of time AWERA has evolved into an organisation with an overal computer controled lathe machine park.